Hails & Farewells

Tis the season for hails and farewells in our circle. There are moving trucks lumbering in and out of the neighborhood. Families posting of their traveling adventures to the next duty station. Going away barbeques and change of command ceremonies. Hugs and well wishes. It's a bittersweet reminder that we only get a short time to make not only a good impression, but a lasting one. 

That was always my problem. Holding back when I know I should speak up, or at the least, move forward and make some sort of advance in a good direction. I like that about people. Not presumptuous or putting your foot in your mouth in haste to be heard, but bravely stepping up to the plate, raising that hand when no one else wants to answer the question.   

The nature of my husband's work means we only get to be in one location for a couple of years, maybe one more, one less. For the most part we end up somewhere brand new, knowing no one, or a select few. But when it comes time to leave, by the grace of God, many friendships have been established and cultivated. It's a good life. I don't get to compare it to staying in one place forever, since I've never had that. Nor do I get to pick a spot on the map for where I'd like to move. 

As each calendar year increases, and I move further from the last set of circumstances and batch of memories, I have to say thank you. Thank you to the One who made all things possible. Thank you to the ones who took a chance on some sort of relationship with me. Thank you to my kids who continue to keep me young. (Because even if I hoped for more quiet spaces to write, I'm glad I'm not even close to putting on the grandma badge as some friends my age are!)

But this year it's my time to stay put, to stay a little longer and soak up the flavor of this place. And I'll also be here at this blog spot each week. Hope to see you around.  

Comments

  1. I love that we got to know each other. I love that we are friends no matter the distance. I think of you often. I have 2 of my 5 sons now pursuing military careers. Some people have tried to dissuade them insisting they can’t serve 2 masters. But as they pray and seek God’s will, Brian continues to come to mind. Godly man who serves the Lord while serving our country. I thank God for your (plural) examples to my boys - short as our time together was.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts