Who would have thought?

Today I want to share some old family history that closely connects to my story. I've been thinking about how God would have me handle it. 

Two women on both sides of my extended family died young. Both cases were directly related to complications of the female anatomy. One was my great grandmother, on my mom's side. She passed in 1935 at the age of 39. Her only child, my grandfather, was 12 years old at the time. 

The other woman was my dad's sister who died at the age of 27. That was 1983, one year after my family had settled overseas. My aunt was to be a mother, but that hope died and went to her grave with her. Her husband never remarried and passed away in his forties.  

When I had my health scare ten years ago (go to "Day 3" blogpost!), also involving complications specific to women's health, relief flooded over me as I watched my 3-year-old son walk into my hospital room. His presence, as well as that of my husband's at my bedside, reminded me that God had granted me more time with these two. My time was not up. My days to give to my family were not over just yet. Even as I write this, I think how hard it must be for some to be at peace with the fact that their loved one was taken from them suddenly or prematurely. I cannot begin to know how God judges one life to be prolonged over another. I do not know enough about how hereditary ailments are related to only certain family members. I do know medical technology has come a long way since 1935 and 1983, for which I'm grateful, but my gratitude must reach beyond crediting medical advancements. 

I believe it is not about coincidence or resigning oneself to an "it is what it is" mindset either. 

I believe that Jesus deserves my daily worship both when my world is "complete" and when it's scary and bits of the past have even been consumed. 

Who would have thought I would be sitting here reflecting on a grandmother I never knew and an aunt I barely knew? Who would have thought their short lives would motivate and remind me that I surely have a great role to play here in my bonus years? 

Comments

Popular Posts