book rec

This week I have managed to read exactly half of a book I brought along on vacation. I read it earlier last year, benefitting so much in my walk with the Lord, I wanted to read through it again. It has been just as good, if not better. Of course, I am in a different season of life now from the time I first read it.

It's an older book, the writer's voice full of depth you don't get from many present-day American authors. The author graduated college in 1923, published in 1975, then a book revision took place in 1996. All that to say, I highly recommend to any serious Christ-follower, "Destined for the Throne" by Paul E. Billheimer. 

Chapter 5, first paragraph: 

It is vitally important for every believer to know with absolute certainty that Calvary was an unutterably glorious triumph. Unless the believer fully understands and is immutably convinced of the infallible basis of his faith, he will be hampered by misgivings and will be unable effectually to exercise his authority over Satan. This and the following chapter are designed to remove any such doubt and to show that Christ through Calvary totally and irrevocably defeated and disarmed Satan both legally and dynamically so that Paul refers to the satanic forces as "the dethroned powers that rule" (I Cor 2:6, Moffatt). The reality of Christ's victory at Calvary is being openly challenged today by the new and growing church of Satanism. Calvary is being represented by them as a defeat, a stupid display of supine weakness. 

I have recently been noticing the accuracy of what this author is saying about the church of Satanism from people and groups I follow on social media and podcasts. Repulsive videos are shared and discussed, revealing things going on out in the open here in America, largely to wake up sleeping Christians and anyone concerned about the deteriorated moral state of our country. Prayer is vital and our weapon against the unseen forces of evil that seem to be stronger than they actually are. 

So often the spiritual things Christians talk or write about are shallow concepts, debates and experiences. I don't doubt there is some value and a place for all that, but for the Church that has been around this long and has her destiny outlined through Scripture, we ought to think deeper and live better. 

Comments

Popular Posts