it's always the grace of God

This week was monumental for my hubby's career, and our family as a whole. He formally relinquished command of the squadron, doing so with all the grace and grit of a humble leader who earned the respect of his troops these past two years. It was his aim to finish strong, and so he did, by the grace of God. But at home, I know that he wasn't sleeping well due to a cough. He had felt some pretty gloomy doubts arise in regards to his health and shared those with me. He was also soberly counting down the weeks and days leading up to the ceremony, packing in as much as possible. Amidst all the glory surrounding his position, there is the knowledge that we are literally nothing outside of the loving care of the only One who can sustain and breathe life into each new day. 

So many came out to witness the occasion, both for us, and for the incoming commander. It was a once-in-a-career moment. It was definitely the pinnacle of our almost two decades serving our country together. I felt like a beautiful wife and was treated as such. I adore my husband and am continually inspired by his character, fortitude, sense of humor, and walk with God. He loves me as only a Christ-follower can. (Eph. 5:25)

I did not grow up in this community, but the longer I'm in, the more I see what drives my man to do what he does, and why he is praised for who he is. It's the same for any other man in any other profession: the grace of God. And I proudly stand beside cheering him on, listening and offering my point of view, caring for the rough and tattered sides that only I have access to. The Lord continues to shape and define our story in the midst of all the circumstances, emotionally draining or filling as each can be. 

So what's next you ask? First things first: going off grid for family vacation! See you on the other side of our mountaintop! 


Comments

Popular Posts