unveiled

Yesterday late afternoon we caught sight of the first flurries of the season. Temps had dropped significantly, making it possible for beautiful, delicate, marvelous wonders to fall from the heavens. My daughter with her bestie ran out into it, decked in winter gear just pulled from storage bins and closets, little faces shining, lifted skyward, pink tongues stretched out. 

At the time, I’d been mulling over the third chapter in second Corinthians, "... when one turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away (removed)." The sight outside gave me the perfect visual. 

The girls' gaze had turned fully upward to receive something they delighted in experiencing and tasting; unhindered, unveiled, exposed. They could have shied away like me, choosing to stay put inside a warm house, content to see from a distance; windows, walls, and doors between myself and unique beauty within reach. 

All through the seasons of life; while I have breath and a functioning mind; I have the opportunity to run to the God of the Bible. Because of Christ, that veil/blindness, has been taken away. Because I hold the Word in my hands, I no longer have an excuse to claim ignorance or to simply remain in the dark. 

"The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of his calling, what are the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of his power toward us who believe." Eph. 1:18-19 

That doesn't mean I won't struggle in confusion or doubt, wanting what seems logical or best in my limited view, but I don't have to stay there. The mask has been removed, and the exceeding greatness of his power can be touched and experienced in a way that draws me closer in fellowship with Jesus and others in my life. 

"But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord." 2 Cor. 3:18 

If only we knew how desperate or in need we were; or how awesome it is to come closer, asking the One who saved us to open our eyes and see the blessings that are bursting all around us. (*Job 38) 

I write this after wrestling all week with trying to understand a set of unusual circumstances in our lives, the bigger picture clearly unknown at this point, an exercise in futility no doubt. Running to the Lord and intently waiting on Him to reveal in His time has got to be my main pursuit. It's as though we were sitting in the center of a snow globe, feeling the effects of a very unpleasant communal shake, only to realize we're about to settle in the beauty of his surrounding holiness and sovereignty. And I wonder, do we have eyes to see it, hearts stretched out to receive and absorb it?  

Comments

Popular Posts