the past and present

"That which hath been is now; and that which is to be hath already been; and God requireth that which is past." Ecclesiastes 3:15 

God requires an account of what has transpired in our lives. Our yesterdays have not gone unnoticed, neither are they disregarded in his sight. 

I'm reminded in this short book that there's nothing new under the sun, no matter what time of history we find ourselves. And yet, I've been almost swallowed up in the angst of tribulations, new to me, but not uncommon to my generation or generations past. Sometimes they are too close to home to shrug off or easily move away from. Sometimes just knowing that God is seated on his throne and will absolutely require the mess we made is enough to send chills up my spine. 

Is the fear of the Lord in this place? Is it in Christmas with all of its festive lights and repetitive songs drumming out the seasonal charms? Or is Christmas just a distraction? Pointing our kids' attention to Christ and away from the more-presents-for-me mindset is no easy task. We live abundant lives. 

Past couple of months have been one of a kind for this writer and her family. God allows what may feel completely new (and crazy), but really is nothing new in the grander scope of time. We are trying to be wise, keeping things in perspective, understanding of the variety of emotions, intentions, and choices made within and without. It's remarkable watching a hard thing unfold that scatters and wounds and influences major decisions and views. Note: I am being intentionally vague with my statements. Best of all, the blood of Jesus cleanses from all past sins, but there is a day coming where we must give an account, believer and unbeliever alike. Shake off hollow religion, and cling to God's Word, for it has direction we each need. 

This verse in Ecclesiastes also reminds me that the entirety of my past can be put into my Father's hands even now. He is the greatest Counselor and will help sort out and make sense of the puzzle of life. He makes beautiful pictures out of us that testify of his work in every corner he is given entrance. That is the theme of a book project I've been working on since 2018/19. In another couple months, it should be complete and ready to share with the world. Pray for me! It's daunting, but one I've thoroughly enjoyed writing. My hope is that it helps others thinking through their own stories, searching for God's providence throughout. 

Comments

Popular Posts