we all grow up

I awoke to a gorgeous wintery morning. The snow fell for hours. The only humans out and about that I could see were those driving inside their warm cars and a couple kids walking to and from friends' homes. 

I don't know about you, but I did not grow up with this kind of weather; quite the opposite, in fact. And yet, a large portion of my married life has been settling down in these northern regions. It just goes to show that though stages of life can differ so much externally, much of the internal remains the same. I'm still me. I'm still reading my Bible, staying connected with God, praying for things in my heart and on my mind. My identity in Christ does not go away when I move to a new location and shame on me if I ever act like it does. 

Earlier this week, before this snowy wonderland... 

I had a newlywed-into-the-military wife over for tea and we talked like we were old friends. Afterward, I thought, I was her once. She's a full generation younger, just starting out, and I know how it feels coming from a non-military background. 

I also met a new mom who just moved into the neighborhood. She had been pushing her baby boy in his stroller and stopped to ask where the dog park was located. She was obviously happy to be outside on a warm blue-sky day with her love. Afterward, I thought, I was her once. She must be a full generation younger too, and I know how it feels to be at a new base with a little baby. 

But seasons change and we all grow up. We thought we were grown up, but that was then. Now it's at another level with hair thinned and eyesight dimmed. We live through the good and the hard, the expected and the unexpected. Some of our greatest fears show up, challenging us in ways we never would wish on anyone. Then the snow falls fresh, every snowflake unique from the snow that fell the time before. Little pleasures, little blessings here and there, if we stop to think about them. 

Let all the earth fear the LORD: let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him. For he spake and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast. The Lord bringeth the counsel of the heathen to nought: he maketh the devices of the people of none effect. The counsel of the Lord standeth forever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations. The Lord looketh from heaven; he beholdeth all the sons of men... he fashioneth their hearts alike; he considereth all their works. Psalm 33 

Comments

Popular Posts