show, don't tell

This past week has been unlike anything I've ever experienced! It's been what equates to something like bungee jumping. First, the dread mingled with fear, then the rush, the adrenaline spike, and finally the euphoria. Watching purchases skyrocket and friends spreading the word has been anything but dull for this newbie, unknown author.

I don't know how many times I've checked the order status on Kindle Direct Publishing, but it's been a lot! I feel like I'm too obsessed with it, but at the same time, publishing is basically like running a business. I do the peddling, managing, watching results, and figuring out what does and doesn't work. Any entrepreneur understands this. 

Just three posts back, in "The Waiting Game" I talk about my setback working toward getting my book cover done. In the midst of that season, I understood there was no rush and no one was dying to read my story. Quietly working behind the scenes toward my calling was fairly easy as my personality fits into that space well. Stepping out into the spotlight and watching so many notice as well as cheer me on was definitely outside my comfort zone. More than anything, it was a reminder that God had something to show me. He too is at work behind the scenes, moving and reaching whom he will through each step of faith. 

Then I come across verses like Psalm 41:12 which says,

"And as for me, thou upholdest me in mine integrity, and settest me before thy face for ever." 

They tell you to show, don't tell, in writing well. The Bible shows. 

I love that just because I'm a child of the Most High God, he upholds and sets me before his own face forever. That shouldn’t intimidate me. He decided that's what he wanted to set before his eyes, ears attune, mind pondering / considering / watching / examining my ways (Psalm 34:15, Proverbs 5:21). His own are that important to him. His interest does not lie in monitoring and managing the great, vast universe, or calculating how many of his galaxies we piddly humans have yet to discover. And how little I set His Word in front of my face, to gaze upon the beauty of his holiness. But I'm gonna work on that. 

As for book sales next week? I'll do my part. Here is the link for you to check it out, write a review, or share with someone in your life: 

Unraveled: A Memoir: Dea, Faith Jeanine: 9798989824007: Amazon.com: Books



Comments

Popular Posts