bite-sized

When I was single, I could only mentally plan one year at a time. For some reason, two or more seemed long and out of reach. One year was bite-size. In that season of my life, I was okay with short-term plans. Present opportunities kept me busy. Future endeavors were uncertain. My life was transient, so why plan beyond what I could handle or foresee? 

This past week I went with my hubby to his one-year post-treatment Dr. appointment. He had good results from his scans, and the oncologist informed him that he'll just need to get annual scans for the next four years. He will be considered medically cured after the five-year mark. "First one is down. Four to go!" his mom, also a cancer survivor, joyously remarked later that day. 

As monumental as it is to arrive at the one-year mark, it is also anti-climatic to hear there are four more years to go. Hence, I did not feel a tremendous weight lifted or jubilant soaring in my soul. Mentally, it was like checking the first box on a list and moving down the page to focus on the next one. It took me back to my youth of living from year to year, seizing a bite-size portion, and letting that digest while walking into the next. 

It is reassuring to see that the Lord's Prayer has not changed in Matthew 6. Jesus tells us to ask the Father for our daily sustenance. He knows our lives unfold in many surprising (to us) ways. How we respond to His Lordship, and relationships with people - in the heat of temptation, trials, or the bliss of a good season, is up to us. What freedom He's handed over to mortal man! In my present, I am dependent on Him. In my future, I'm also dependent on Him. He asks us to be mindful of this and to keep his name hallowed (holy, sanctified).   

Some of you may be long-term planners, and I think that is smart. I would like my kids to be that way. I know God has long-term plans in mind. He understands what we can handle and the way our brains operate. How do you plan? Has your "mode" changed over the years? 

Comments

Popular Posts