small joys


Lately, I have found small joys converting this house into a home. It is not a "forever home." We did not purchase this time. I do not have the best eye for decorating nor the budget for buying new items to fit each new space. But when the hectic hours of moving in and unpacking are behind me, creativity is given the freedom to explore and utilize what is available. It's as if all the pieces of a puzzle have been shaken up and I discover that even previously unused pieces fit a space or corner perfectly as though that's where they were meant to belong all along. I step back to admire the handiwork and exhale a contented sigh. Small joys here and there amount to big pictures of what is ultimately desired, and that is a place in which to feel at home. 

I wonder if the practice of doing these things is a reflection of what's to come at our final home in heaven? Jesus told his disciples, "I go to prepare a place for you" and then he promised to "come again and receive you unto myself" John 14:2-3. Just as I have been changing this shell of a house into a haven for myself and each member of my family, so God the Son ascended to do the same. The main difference is heaven was never a shell of a home! He is preparing a place of belonging for each of us who know him and are known by him as Lord and Savior. It is a scary thought that many will stand before him one day and say "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you" Matthew 7:22-23. There are no comfortable alternatives or holding zones once you pass from this earth into eternity. Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess that Jesus is Lord. (Romans 14:11)

For a follower of Jesus, there is much to look forward to. It's not to be dreaded or valued less than what we have here in the physical world. That same admiration of God's handiwork, the beauty of his holiness, will bring that exhale of contentment and satisfaction we've never even come close to experiencing here. How do I know? Psalm 16:11 says, "In thy presence is fullness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures forevermore." Amen!   



Comments

Popular Posts