picture this

"And the Philistines were gathered together into a troop ... and the people fled from the Philistines. But he (Shammah) stood in the midst of the ground, and defended it, and slew the Philistines: and the Lord wrought a great victory." 2 Samuel 23: 11-12

I wonder if Shammah had a picture of someone in his mind as he faced the enemy that day. I wonder if he was inspired by stories of his king as a youth standing alone, facing Goliath when the entire Israelite army stayed back. I wonder how he got his grit to go forward, to stand strong when all the others around him fled. Today, he would have been a part of an elite SEAL team, except he worked better alone. 

In the second book of Samuel, we see a list of David's mighty men. We don't see that type of list for Saul. Even in his old age, David's courage lived on in the younger generations of men who served their nation and the Lord. 

My mom reminded me this week that much of what I do around my house (housekeeping, parenting) gives my children a picture of what they will have in their minds when they grow up and have their own homes and families. I'm sure my example won't be the only thing they think of, but it could be a big influence on the way they choose to do things. That encouraged me. Every day I find joy and grace but I also find unpleasant, grating resistance. The latter breeds in me a loathing and strong desire to flee like all who ran from the Philistines. (When I say flee, I mean, go to the grocery store alone, or escape to the solitude of my bedroom for a break!)

I wonder how much we as children of God look to the lives of those who have displayed great faith in their lives and then decide to follow suit. I wonder how much is holding us back from stepping forward to do something most don't want to do. I hope we are continually reminded to lean on the strength of the Lord because he is the One who will bring victory, no matter how small. 

We each have been deposited in a certain home, spot on the globe, or community, even if we move or travel a lot. We can't always hide or run from trouble or forces working against the good. I know for me, I must remember others who inspire me then turn it around and imagine some thinking of my life when they come to a point when they need courage to face their hard things. Will my example be something that can boost their spirits when they face their giants? 

Comments

Popular Posts