higher ground

Sometimes you just have to focus on doing the next small thing. It helps to seize a big picture or a vision of the foreseeable future, but there are times when the little things mean the most. Do you ever find yourself straddling between the two? I do. I think David's writings reflect some of that. In one moment he exudes confidence in trusting the omniscient God, as he writes: "the Lord will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life." Then, the next verse is the total opposite: "I will say unto God my rock, Why hast thou forgotten me?" (Psalm 42:8-9) 

I can easily get stumped with the small stuff or the temporary seasons that entrap joy and satisfaction. I know God is Lord over all. I know He is my Rock and fortress. I know He has a plan. But things can trip me up casting a grimy net over my view of the greater plan and purpose. 

The human condition tends to sink into the mire of despair either all at once or at a slow descension. We need to speak the truth, read and hear the truth, and allow others to speak the truth to regain our footing on that quintessential higher ground. 

Lord lift me up and let me stand, by faith on heaven's tableland, 

a higher plane that I have found, Lord plant my feet on higher ground.

My heart has no desire to stay where doubts arise and fears dismay; 

though some may dwell where these abound, my prayer my aim is higher ground.

I want to live above the world, though Satan's darts at me are hurled; 

for faith has caught a joyful sound, the song of saints on higher ground. 

Lyrics by Johnson Oatman, Jr. born in New Jersey 1856. 

Comments

Popular Posts